How does the common man tolerate the EU?

It's confusing for me. Elite gangsters of the ruling class eroding sovereignty of each country in it? Germany the only economy in the pack not in negative growth (you dun goof'd)
Has being in the EU made you a better country?

I don't understand it but I want to understand it? If you scratch your ass does this need to be approved by the French & British?

I am serious by the way. I want to understand how the EU benefits the common person. The common person in Germany is better off in the EU because .....?

In before Australia sucks, In before crocodile dundee and kangaroos.

Most fuck-ups would be there even if the EU wasn't. Probably some more, actually.

You think we've chosen to be a part of the EU, but that's not the case. If you are born in Germany, you're a part of it and since most of the (Western) European parties in the member states follow the "European idea", the only way to protest against it would be to vote for a right-winged party. Besides the fact that this isn't an option, there are actually a few good things, for example the disappearance of the borders/customs. Makes it much easier to travel around our continent, at least in the member states. I also second Golan's statement.

Don't forget you can MOVE, yes MOVE, freely to any member state and start living and working there with no larger beuraucratic fuss around it. No greencards, no visa needed. I actually like the EU. I just don't like the way they run things. Maybe it would make more sense to have two different euro currencies. And what I don't like especially is how everybody keeps on blaming germany for everything the EU does wrong. Why does it always have to be us goddamnit?! We're not the source of all of your problems :|

I actually have a friend who decided to just pack his bags and get a job as a teacher in Sweden. The only thing that he had to do was get a personnummer since we don't have that here. And that's great imo!
People ought to make more use of the great european freedoms we have. I think it's hard for a lot of people from the outside to understand why people in europe don't move around as much in between the different states of the union but rather just keep on sitting in the same dirty old town in the same country all the time.

Imo there's too much powermongering greed for power for one particular party in the parliament. They should rather form socio-linguistic interest blocks or something. Like a germanic nation block (Austria, Luxembourg?, Belgium?, Germany Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, Great Britain), a romance nation block (France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece?, Luxemburg?, Belgium?), a slavonic/eastern nation block (Poland, Hungary?, czech republic, Balkan states, Bulgaria) and a fenno-baltic nation block (Hungary?, Finland, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia). Then they could discuss the questions internally and later on present their opinion as stronger blocks and discuss that in parliament. I actually hear that's the way it should work, but I don't think it does.
Smaller blocks anyway.

Last edited:
Ich bin absolutely neidisch, haben sie den Text auf Englisch ohne müh einfach so heruntergeschrieben Mr. Outsider ?

Imo there's too much powermongering greed for power for one particular party in the parliament. They should rather form socio-linguistic interest blocks or something. Like a germanic nation block (Austria, Luxembourg?, Belgium?, Germany Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, Great Britain), a romance nation block (France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece?, Luxemburg?, Belgium?), a slavonic/eastern nation block (Poland, Hungary?, czech republic, Balkan states, Bulgaria) and a fenno-baltic nation block (Hungary?, Finland, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia). Then they could discuss the questions internally and later on present their opinion as stronger blocks and discuss that in parliament. I actually hear that's the way it should work, but I don't think it does.
What does vague language similarity have to do with political goals and interests? E.g. Austria and the UK are (in a political context) like two different continents with different Weltanschauung, history, agendas and goals. And I'm not even starting on different socio-political conditions, problems and... things.

Don't forget you can MOVE, yes MOVE, freely to any member state and start living and working there with no larger beuraucratic fuss around it. No greencards, no visa needed. I actually like the EU. I just don't like the way they run things. Maybe it would make more sense to have two different euro currencies. And what I don't like especially is how everybody keeps on blaming germany for everything the EU does wrong. Why does it always have to be us goddamnit?! We're not the source of all of your problems :|

I actually have a friend who decided to just pack his bags and get a job as a teacher in Sweden. The only thing that he had to do was get a personnummer since we don't have that here. And that's great imo!
People ought to make more use of the great european freedoms we have. I think it's hard for a lot of people from the outside to understand why people in europe don't move around as much in between the different states of the union but rather just keep on sitting in the same dirty old town in the same country all the time.

Smaller blocks anyway.

That's awesome I never knew that do people do that though move around alot? What's to stop the whole of Greece just suddenly moving to Germany? Greece is stuffed. Spain is also stuffed why dont they just all come to Germany instead if the economy is in better shape?

I guess some people are nationalistic I know if I was in Greece or Spain though I would be gone! F that stick around while they sort things out, wasting my youth because of corrupt politicians!

What is the economic relationship in the EU I thought Germany would be most popular since it's economy is doing 'OK' for Euro standard?

The moving around sounds good would be incredibly to have two unique countries just next door.

Confusing how anything could ever get done with so many vested interests. What are the other freedoms of the EU?

You think we've chosen to be a part of the EU, but that's not the case. If you are born in Germany, you're a part of it and since most of the (Western) European parties in the member states follow the "European idea", the only way to protest against it would be to vote for a right-winged party.

Aren't Britain trying leave it? That is also where we have a problem you just 'are' part of the EU seems a bit like dictatorship.

What does vague language similarity have to do with political goals and interests? E.g. Austria and the UK are (in a political context) like two different continents with different Weltanschauung, history, agendas and goals. And I'm not even starting on different socio-political conditions, problems and... things.

It's a very vague idea, but there's a reason for alliances like Norden ( i.e. Scandinavia + Finland, used to be a model for the EU back in the 50s but still exists today) as interest blocks.
The idea behind the language is that people can semi-communicate more easily, because the language barrier isn't as tough, but the problem is of course there. While Austria and Germany might technically be rather similar, Germany and Britain aren't. And so on. I still think smaller think-blocks would benefit the alliance :p
Even if it was just some of the smaller countries getting together. BeNeLux for example or my beloved Baltic states :P

I don't know if they already do though.

That's awesome I never knew that do people do that though move around alot? What's to stop the whole of Greece just suddenly moving to Germany? Greece is stuffed. Spain is also stuffed why dont they just all come to Germany instead if the economy is in better shape?

I guess some people are nationalistic I know if I was in Greece or Spain though I would be gone! F that stick around while they sort things out, wasting my youth because of corrupt politicians!

What is the economic relationship in the EU I thought Germany would be most popular since it's economy is doing 'OK' for Euro standard?

The moving around sounds good would be incredibly to have two unique countries just next door.

Confusing how anything could ever get done with so many vested interests. What are the other freedoms of the EU?

Afaik there are a lot of young people considering or working for that goal of moving elsewhere in the EU and taking jobs there. There was a report about Spain on the radio recently, where they interviewed student which stated exactly that. The main problem will be the language barrier though. And moving abroad, so to say, is always a big step, so it's understandable that people hesitate. But it's technically perfectly possible.
You have to consider that culture and language can be quite different in EU member states. In other words: If you decide to move, you won't just leave your friends behind but also the cultural bubble in which you grew up.

A lot of young Greeks emigrate not just into other EU-countries but countries all over the world. Same goes for Spain (and Italy).
And regarding the original queston: The EU is the best thing that has happened to Europe since the Enlightenment.

Maybe it would make more sense to have two different euro currencies. And what I don't like especially is how everybody keeps on blaming germany for everything the EU does wrong. Why does it always have to be us goddamnit?! We're not the source of all of your problems :|

you obviously dont understand the 2 core problems of the crysis.
1st Deregulated finance sector.

2nd (this deals with your last sentence) different evolvement of wages / inflation in a (our) currency union and the result of it, we are exportweltmeister, some other are poor dogs:
the wages in Germany are too low, in south europe they are too high. so it is not just their problem/fault but from us, too.

maybe unbelievable, but some people probably dont want to come to germany because of several reasons.
learning the language, earning low wages, leaving their families...
moreover we already have mass unemployment. what do you think is gonna happen to the already low wages when all the unemployed people from south europe would come to us?

That's not what I said. I didn't mean "EVERYBODY COME TO GERMANY, EVERYBODY DANCE NOW!"

What I had in mind when saying that last bit was rather all the people that always bitch about how unfair and unjust europe is and how it's a dictatorship against the free man and all that, when they're (much like me) not really aware of all the advantages and possible possibilities the EU might offer them to do something (the freedoms. Better buy some guns now).
The other thing is, whenever I see foreign exchange students and the likes come here, they always take lots of tours all across the place and they often find it surprising most europeans travel around as much either.
Be it for entertainment or be it for work. Compared to the US for example, we don't really have that much of huge distances between all the states and countries, yet we rarely move around all that much between them, do we?

But you're right about the first thing, I don't understand it and I do have only a very rudimentary understanding of all things EU actually. Never meant to portray myself and my vague naive ideas here as being the pro for all questions concerning the EU ;)

This is what sparked my interest in the EU

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-second-us-century-20130512-2jfuu.html

"As for Europe, it is a nightmare. Austerity is the order of the day. Germany's is the only economy with any growth at all and it's not much. Most European countries have rapidly ageing and shrinking populations and increasingly difficult-to-carry welfare burdens. Whether the European Union and the euro will survive are still open questions. In any case, there is no chance that Europe will lead a global revival."

That was written by a USA researcherby the way hardly credible by relevant points on demographics, unemployment and population at least.. But in a situation that never improves it's hard to see the EU justifying itself.

I also couldn't wouldn't be a fan of other countries having a large say in my country(aware the USA tells us what to do), but it seems its not really like that at all, although the leaders still bicker eg: Merkel & the Poles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom